Gooderham Building 49 Wellington Street East
Torontos historic Gooderham building, located at 49 Wellington Street East, started its life as a three storey structure known as The Coffin Block Building. It's estimated that The Coffin Block was built in or around 1845 as an addition to The Wellington hotel on Church Street. The original shape of the building was due to the triangular shape of the property, located at Front and Church Street.
The Gooderham Building that stands there now is an early example of a flatiron building, and was completed in 1892 by architect David Roberts Jr. It was constructed for George Gooderham, and had an estimated cost of $ 18000. George Gooderham is the son of William Gooderham, founder of Gooderham and Worts distillery, and served as offices for the company up until 1952.
The Gooderham Building was bought by private interests in 1975, and since then has undergone several restorations resulting in its modern incarnation. The City of Toronto also designated the structure under the Ontario Heritage Act In 1975, and the Ontario Heritage Trust secured a heritage easement on the building in 1977.
The building is located in the eastern section of Torontos downtown core, in the popular St. Lawrence neighbourhood. It's well worth the stop for visitors and residents alike.